View Single Post
Old April 5 2012, 02:00 PM   #54
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Avengers Vs. X-Men -- Speculation, Spoilers, and Discussion

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
And that brings up a related point. Cyclops seriously overreacts to the situation as presented for no discernible reason. The only thing I can figure is that the visor he's worn all these years has cut off the circulation to his head.
That was actually my first reaction as well (and I even said that he was being a bit of a jerk in the other thread), but upon a re-read and remembering the ending of the recently concluded Avengers: X-Sanction, I can forgive it. You see, Cyclops knew this was coming. In X-Sanction, Cable showed Cyclops a vision of a wasteland future and told Cyclops that this is what would happen if he let the Avengers take Hope. And he definitely told Cyclops that war with the Avengers was coming. But they convey none of that here, not even on a text page, which is unfortunate for new readers. (Maybe if the story wasn't so de-compressed, they could've told more story.)
That's exactly it. The old rule of thumb -- "Every issue is someone's first issue" -- just doesn't seem to apply any more to comics.

But since this is being written for the trade, the kind of backstory that you just gave will be given somewhere later down the road because the story can be paced differently. Imagine that Cap's been captured, he says, "I thought I was making a reasonable request. We know the Phoenix is coming. We know it wiped out a planet. Can't you see the bigger picture?" And then Cyclops could fill in the backstory of X-Sanction. Suddenly you have the reveal -- Cyclops isn't being an unthinking jerk, he just knows more than Captain America.

Trade pacing is bad.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote