View Single Post
Old April 4 2012, 09:10 PM   #753
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction and Film

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I mostly do cartoons these days; they're what I have the most fun drawing. One of these days I'll actually get around to putting a comic strip on the Web or something. I mostly do it for fun or to improve.

As for the lines looking like brush strokes, that's thanks to the excellent brush mechanics of Manga Studio. It's the only drawing software I've seen devoted strictly to comics. But because the brushes work so well, I'll use it for basic illustration stuff. I do all of the sketching and linework in that, then color it in Photoshop. (You can color just fine in Manga Studio, I'm just more familiar with doing it in PS.)

That's how I did this one last Friday the 13th. It was my first attempt using that method. I see the errors now, like the holes on his mask in the last panel and the lack of paint on the ground, but hey, I learned a lot while doing it. I might redraw it at some point with a less clunky punchline. "That's NOT how you make spaghetti," etc.)

Good luck with the tablet, RJ. It takes a little time to get used to looking up at the screen while drawing, instead of your hand. After a few hours of practice, it gets a lot easier.

I hope you do finally get Svengoolie on This TV. I have no doubt you'll enjoy it. I think this is the schedule for April:

04/07: Sssssssssss
04/14: Dracula
04/21: Dracula's Daughter
04/28: This Island Earth

It's great that he gets to stay clear of the usual public domain stuff.