View Single Post
Old April 4 2012, 01:06 AM   #39
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Avengers Vs. X-Men -- Speculation, Spoilers, and Discussion

Going on sale tonight at select stores and in wide release tomorrow, Avengers Vs. X-Men #1:
It's no longer coming it's here!
Does the return of the Phoenix to Earth signal the rebirth of the mutant species? That's what the X-Men believe!
Unfortunately, the Avengers are convinced that its coming will mean the end of all life on Earth!
The stage is set for the ultimate Marvel showdown in this oversized first issue!
I've admitted that I'm not a Marvel reader. The last Avengers comic I picked up would have been Avengers/JLA #4. The last X-Men comic I picked up would have been Star Trek: The Next Generation/X-Men: Second Contact. However, I'm a little bit more versed on what's happening with the X-Men than I am with the Avengers; at work, I often have to write about the X-Men, and I've become rather good at faking it.

Some thoughts on AVX #1. Non-spoilery ones first.

This is the second Brian Michael Bendis comic I've ever read; the first was AVX #0 last week. The pace of it surprised me. This was like the Geoff Johns/Jim Lee Justice League; lots of big panels, lots of showy artwork, and not much in the way of plot movement. Oh, don't get me wrong, stuff happens, but it feels stretched out. This could have fit a 22-page comic easily.

This first issue is weighted a little more towards the Avengers than the X-Men; we don't reach Utopia until near the staple in the middle, and even then we have more Avengers moments.

Now, spoilers.

Now, the expectations game.

It's hard to judge where a 12-part story is going to go based on a single issue. But, based on the way stories like this are told, I'll take a stab.

I think my overall feeling was of "Meh." It's not objectively bad. It just moves slowly, and it assumes that the audience knows the backstory. When I said last week that this issue makes a better start for AVX than last week's issue #0, I really meant that.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote