View Single Post
Old April 3 2012, 12:34 AM   #28
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Re: Heads up! MYTHBUSTERS season premiere tonight at 9 Eastern!

Christopher wrote: View Post
I would like it to be addressed because I'm interested in how special effects are created. And the Mythbusters have done that before with a number of their movie myths -- not only busted the depicted scene but explained how it was really done.
Well, I think the "magic" of special effects is long lost as now things are mostly CGI when comes to effects. I used to watch and love SFX BTS videos on movies as it was interesting to see how things were achieved. Now days it's like, "Yeah we had a team of people looking at computer screens for 10 hours a day compiling lines of code." But, again, this assumes the effect was done with CGI and wasn't some sort of practical effect. If it was a practical effect, yeah, seeing how it was done could be interesting.

On the front of the Jr. team testing "if it could be done" hence why they didn't use robotic cars for the test... Yeah, but...

I didn't catch it when they were setting up the myth and I've never seen the movie either but I suspect in the movie they may have been professionals of some sort who -one could argue- would be better adept at driving a car in low-visibility conditions as opposed to a group of people who spent an afternoon or two at a stunt-driving school.