^ I put it on my ziplist yesterday. It's the english dub with Kirsten Dunst.
93. The Seven Year Itch
: (✩✩✩) - TV
- A working man in New York spends the hot summer by himself while his wife and son spend the summer elsewhere. During this time, he entertains thoughts of having a fling and spends time with his hot blonde neighbor played by Marilyn Monroe. I wish this movie were more risque, but what can you expect from a movie made in the 50s. This movie is also a play and apparently the guy does cheat there, but it wasn't allowed in movies at the time.
: (✩✩✩½) - On Demand
- TV movie starring Emma Caulfield, David James Elliott and Michael Hogan. A family that movies into a house in the 'burbs and the wife (Caulfield) suspects that their neighbor (Hogan) is keeping someone in the basement. It was pretty gripping for a TV movie.
95. Love Happens
: (✩✩✩) - TV
- A self help guru, who's wife was killed a few years ealier, is in Seattle conducting a seminar that helps people deal with the loss of a loved one. While there, he falls for a woman and deals with his own pain. Stars Aaron Eckhart and Jennifer Aniston. Decent watch.
96. La Jetée
: (✩✩✩✩) - TV
- This is a 30-minute scifi film made in France in 1962. It's the short movie that 12 Monkeys
is based on and follows the same basic plot.
***Spoilers ahead, but no real surprises if you've already seen 12 Monkeys***
A boy sees a man die at the airport, and as an adult, is haunted by that memory along with the image of a woman he saw. He lives underground after the world has been devastated by nuclear war. There, he becomes part of an experiment in time travel. He's sent to both the past and the fututre to find ways to help his world in the present. While in the past, he also meets the woman he saw as a child and spends time with her. Ultimately, when his job is done, he chooses to live in the past with this woman and ends up getting killed at the airport by someone from his own time. He's the man that his past counterpart, the boy, saw dying.
This movie is made up entirely of black and white stills with a bit of music and a narrator telling the story. It's basically a slideshow. It may not sound very compelling, but you get into the story pretty quickly and it really does hold your attention. It's got more creative science fiction than 12 Monkeys
and it's more tragic. If you liked 12 Monkeys
, check this out to see where it's ideas came from.
About the scifi element that I thought was more creative... It was the time travel, and I liked how it was handled. Our man didn't physically travel through time, he was blindfolded, drugged and "projected" into the past. At first, he'd see the past in dream-like images, then over time, he learned to see these images as full scenes until he was "awake" in the past in some sort of astral body, while his real body slept in the future/his present. The woman he met in the past referred to him as a "ghost" due to his appearing and disappearing from her life. While projecting himself into the future, he met people who had further mastered time travel and could apparently send people back, fully in the flesh. They helped him go back in the end for real.
97. Some Like It Hot
: (✩✩✩) - TV
- Two musicians witness a mob killing and go on the run by disgusing themselves as women and joining a girl band. Jack Lemon, Tony Curtis and Marilyn Monroe star. Finally saw it and enjoyed it. Monroe's acting was much better here than is was in The Seven Year Itch
. Something must have been going on with her while filming that one. So ends my Marilyn Monroe weekend. Reading up on her, I see that I'm almost exactly the same age now that she was when she died.
On Demand: 13