View Single Post
Old March 27 2012, 06:57 PM   #47
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, apparently

Beyond that, when it comes to taking away benders' abilities permanently, I'd imagine Amon will be content to do that in the crudest and most obvious way: killing them. Once you've settled on violence as a valid method, it tends to remove any interest in developing subtler approaches.
I don't know what would happen if he managed to wipe out all benders, but killing the avatar would just cause her to reincarnate. Besides, there's more satisfaction in seeing your enemy weakened and humiliated. I don't know if Amon holds that attitude, but it would make things more interesting if he did.

Besides, I don't see how anyone other than the Avatar could have the power to take someone's bending away.
I don't either, but chi blocking sounds like a good start.

Remember, Aang was unable to earthbend at first, and there was a point where Zuko lost touch with his firebending ability. Korra has a similar mental block when it comes to airbending, that's all. Which is partly for the reason they stated, that her personality is opposite that needed to master airbending. But I wonder if there could be another reason. I can imagine an Avatar being ambivalent about being the reincarnation of someone else; that's got to screw up one's sense of identity and individuality. Maybe Korra's afraid to airbend because she's afraid of losing who she is. Sure, her past lives before Aang included all four abilities, but Aang was her immediate predecessor, the only prior Avatar who was around in any human's living memory, and perhaps the most important Avatar in history, or certainly in recent history. So I can see why Korra might be subconsciously afraid to accept the part of herself that was Aang.
Now I'm having flashes of Clark Kent. Whatever her case is, they've set up an interesting journey for her. For whatever reason, Korra's situation feels more dire than what other characters have gone through. Maybe it's because of nature of the conflict that's brewing.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote