View Single Post
Old March 27 2012, 06:08 PM   #45
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

Christopher wrote: View Post
I figured that if Aang's spirit-bending could let him take away someone's bending ability, it could also let him imbue someone with bending ability. So I figured he could've created hundreds of airbenders that way, instead of having to repopulate the line the old-fashioned way. I guess that's not the way it works, though, and I wonder why.
It would probably make things too easy if the avatar could just imbue anyone with bending abilities. I wonder if this show will deal with that though. What if it explored the issue of non-benders developing or being given abilities. The story seems ripe for that. And as I suggested earlier, I wonder if these equalists will find some way to take away Korra's bending abilities.

Christopher wrote: View Post
The Avatar is the nexus of spiritual balance in the world. Fire is balanced by water, earth is balanced by air. Remove any one of those elements and the balance is lost -- just as the balance of the world was lost when Fire Lord Sozin wiped out the Air Nomads. Not to mention that every Avatar contains the same soul as every previous Avatar. Spiritually, Korra is not just Korra, she's also Aang and Roku and Kyoshi and Kuruk and Yangchen and so on all the way back to the beginning. So she has the soul of an airbender just as much as she has the soul of a waterbender, earthbender, and firebender. It's impossible to separate one of those threads out of who she is. Her current personality or genetics may make it difficult for her to access that part of her spirit, but it's definitely within her.
Fair enough. Seeing Korra unable to bend air had me concerned, or at least made me think a little about the situation and possible twists for the story. I guess that's a testament to the show's writing, the richness of the world of Avatar and the show's underlying ideas.

As for this metal bending business and the idea of bending other elements, I always thought that "Sparky Sparky Boom Man" came off as more of a light bender, especially since his power eminated from his third eye which is the chakra for light. In fact, all through watching The Last Airbender, I couldn't help but think it would have been an interesting twist to reveal three additional elements to the mix... Sound, Light and Thought. Those, and the classic four make up the seven elements of the chakra system.

intrinsical wrote: View Post
Its the same core group as the last Avatar. There's the Avatar, a lover of the opposite sex and a plucky sidekick for comedic relief.
At first, I thought she was going to befriend that wacky guy in the park and that he'd fill the "Sokka" role.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote