View Single Post
Old March 27 2012, 02:08 AM   #480
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I finished Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code and started to move on to Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception. However, I'm reconsidering this, as I had to really push myself through these, and I'm thinking it's time for something new. Plus I'm really starting to hurt for shelf space again.

I'm going to go on a mini-rant here and say these books have annoyed me throughout with the frequency of run-on sentences, fragments, and homophone errors. Maybe this makes me overly obsessive about grammar, but in books aimed at kids who are supposed to be learning how to properly compose sentences and use words, the number of these mistakes in these books is simply unacceptable.

So I'm thinking these are headed for either trade or sale online.

I have Mr. Sebastian and the Negro Magician by Daniel Wallace that I picked up at a thrift store a while back that is smiling at me over there. I had never heard of it, but the cover caught my eye, the blurb on the flap seemed interesting, and it barely cost me anything - either $.50 or $1.00. I think I'll try it next.

ETA: I'm also reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman on my iPhone when I find myself without a book handy. Amazon offered the Kindle version on the cheap a while back, and it's been a pleasant diversion when I've needed one. I haven't felt compelled to read it when I have something else more handy, but it's amusing enough.