View Single Post
Old March 26 2012, 04:24 PM   #69
23skidoo
Admiral

Re: Disney's JOHN CARTER

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
I'm afraid even with a bigger name actor it still would have been dismissed by most people as just a cheesy Prince of Persia/Attack of the Clones knockoff.
That would first require that "most people" had any idea at all what Prince of Persia is.
Yeah - double whammy on John Carter to be marked as derivative of a film no one actually saw!

Sad part, as noted elsewhere, is John Carter is of course the original, yet it suffers because everything from it has already been done.

It's sort of like someone accusing Doctor Who of being a rip-off of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. And if you think that line of thought doesn't exist, I direct you to the first (only) user comment on this blog page where someone is indeed of that opinion - although he isn't completely clueless as he knows DW is older. He just personally considers it a rip-off:

http://challengeaccepted.wordpress.c...-to-hollywood/

You can't win against that sort of thing. Just like I was reading a column that mentions that The Hunger Games has destroyed any chance of a Battle Royale remake for the next 10 years. Which is not a bad thing at all, actually, being a huge fan of the original novel and movie. Yet with Hunger Games poised to become the anti-John Carter from now on there will be people who dismiss Battle Royale as a rip-off.

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote