7) Take Shelter (2011) - A-
8) 50/50 (2011) - B
9) Baby Mama (2008) - B-
10) United 93 (2006)
11) Rango (2011) - B
12) The Hunger Games (2012) - B+
13) 21 Jump Street (2012) - B+

The Hunger Games

Before this last week, I didn't know what the Hunger Games were. When I found out it was based on books much in the same vain as Twilight and Harry Potter, I wondered why I didn't know much about it before and why was I out of the loop on this stuff. Going in, I honestly didn't know what the plot of the movie was, and didn't know what kind of expectations to have for something like this.

Well, I went to this movie this morning and tonight I'm still thinking about it. I think I need to see Winter's Bone again because the highlight of this movie for me was Jennifer Lawrence. I'm really starting to like her as an actress but for some reason I didn't grab onto Winter's Bone like others seemed to. As for the movie, there were a lot of things that made me feel uncomfortable, and I think that was the movie's point. I didn't feel this uncomfortable since 127 hours when the boulder comes crashing down on the guys arm but that's a different movie. Here, the thought of this dystopian world is terrifying, and to have kids killing each other for ratings is painful, emotionally. I was surprised this movie and books were aimed towards the younger generation because watching some of this movie made me feel a bit quesey. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it because I did, and the quesiness feeling added to it. People are complaining that we didn't see a lot of the deaths in the movie and I think maybe that had a greater impact. You can kill anytime anywhere and make it look greusome. Here, what worked was the movie played on your emotions, how you feel for these characters, and just the idea of kids being forced to kill other kids. There was a line in this movie that I really liked and pretty much summarized the movie really well. "The only emotion greater than fear is hope. Give them a little hope". (Maybe that's not the line verbatim, but the idea remains.

I think if there was a problem I had with the movie was that I wished some of the other tributes were a little fleshed out, and Gale apparently has a major role in the next few movies. Maybe a lot of the backstory will be brought to the table in the next movie because this one felt kind of on the straight and narrow. Other than that, very good film.

21 Jump Street

A very different kind of movie, and a funny one at that. Not the funniest movie I've seen, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Theatre: 4 (+2)
BluRay: 4
On Demand/TV: 1
Itunes: 4