Thread: Dragon Age 3
View Single Post
Old March 21 2012, 11:25 PM   #7
clint g
Admiral

Re: Dragon Age 3

Reverend wrote: View Post
DA2 certainly had much to recommend it and it was hardly the unmitigated disaster some like to pretend it was.

I know I'm probably in the minority with this view, but I thought the companions' story arcs were the "real" story being told and that whole mage/templar thing was just a backdrop. Perhaps that's less a to do with the way the companions were written and more to do with how disinterested I was with the main plot, but it was enough to get me to replay it three more times. Not a big fan of the DLC. Legacy was just one massively dull dungeon crawl topped off by a frustrating boss battle. Never did finish Mark of the Assassin.
The big issue with DA2 was that it was

a)Glitchy

and

b)Different from the first one

Now being different isn't necessarily a bad thing. I loved the story and how it was told differently from DA1. What I didn't like was the change to the gameplay. RPGs like DAO and KOTOR don't come around very often. Is it too much to ask that their be a franchise that keeps the elements that make those games fun? In the case of DA2, they felt that they could take a few pages from ME2 and apply them to DA2. While it didn't break the game, it took away some of what made DAO special.