View Single Post
Old March 21 2012, 08:12 PM   #611
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Hemlock Grove casting: Famke Janssen stars.

I dunno, this sounds like the kind of show I'd be only marginally interested in, if it were a broadcast or cable series. If Netflix wants to make a splash, they can't just do what their competitors (premium cable, in their own estimation) do; they need to break out by doing what nobody else does, at least with one show that can become the basis for a rebranding of their whole business.

“Hemlock Grove” starts with the body of a young girl, mangled and murdered in the shadow of the former Godfrey steel mill. Some suspect an escapee from the White Tower, a biotech facility owned by the former steel magnates. Others believe the killer could be Peter, a 17-year-old Gypsy kid from the wrong side of the tracks, who tells his classmates he’s a werewolf. Or it could be Roman (Skarsgard), the arrogant Godfrey scion, whose sister Shelley is disturbingly deformed and whose mother, Olivia (Janssen), the otherworldly beautiful and controlling grand dame of Hemlock Grove.
Yahoo's new scripted (?) series Cybergeddon (about cybercrime) at least seems like something that it would be impossible to do on traditional TV (though I'm not sure I'm interested in it, either):

“Cybergeddon” will be launching globally, first on Yahoo! this Fall, as a series of installments to roll out sequentially. “Cybergeddon” will engage Yahoo!’s worldwide audience of 700 million unique visitors, through an immersive storytelling, social media and gaming experience.

“Through entertainment and dramatization, ‘Cybergeddon’ will illuminate the serious issue of how our constantly connected lives can be vulnerable to cybercrime, breaches of online privacy and theft.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote