View Single Post
Old March 21 2012, 03:36 PM   #62
TheLoneRedshirt
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: Republic

Okay, I'm fully caught up now. This reads much like a Horatio Hornblower tale, lots of action, bravado and sheer bloody-mindedness. All in all, a very fun read!

As much as I like Dahlgren and his efforts to instill morale in Republic's crew, I take issue with how he treated Captain Myers in a very public setting. Everything Dahlgren said was technically correct and I agree that Myers did not show proper respect and basically insulted Republic and her crew. All of that would have been avoided had the conversation taken place in private, per Myers' request.

I get that Dahlgren wanted to make a point to (and apparently an example of) Captain Myers. But Dahlgren has done to Myers what others have done to Republic. He has publicly ridiculed a starship captain in front of his own bridge crew and the entire complement of Republic. Then he in effect threatened him with murder. A duel? Wow. (Although I kind of like the idea. )

If this is the Starfleet with which I'm familiar, there will be serious repercussions.

Okay, I got that out of my system. It's a great story and I am thoroughly enjoying it. But I wish you would go ahead and cut off Dahlgren's leg and strap on a wooden peg for the full effect. And instead of the sword, how 'bout a cutlass?

The man is a bad-ass, no doubt.