View Single Post
Old March 21 2012, 02:35 PM   #10
23skidoo
Admiral

Re: My copy of Shada arrived today

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I really think it's the Adams factor at play here. A New York publisher sees the words "Douglas Adams" and they think, "Hey, we can make money on this!" I hope it's an experiment that works and the BBC gets what they've wanted since the late '90s, an American publisher.
And there's a definite reason why Adams gets top billing on the book. The guy has a huge fanbase so hopefully that'll translate into sales.

As for Moorcock and Terraphiles, I totally agree with you. The ball was dropped. The ball was dropped on other books. And that's all I'm able to say on the subject.
Certain retailers and distributors still don't understand how internationally popular Who is. I'm not expecting to see a DW title ever top the New York Times bestsellers chart, obviously, but they seem to still think it's this little cult. As you'll see in the Miracle Day DVD thread even the DVDs are starting to become scarce now.

23skidoo wrote: View Post
But I can't imagine today's readers standing for such a thing. Especially since it's so dead easy now to get the "unexpurgated version" via online order or e-books for that matter.
The truth is, the average book buyer isn't going to notice -- or even know. You didn't know that the Hitchhiker's books were different between the US and UK editions, for instance.
'Tis true. And the end result is I'm going to be very picky which versions of Adams I buy in the future. Here in Canada we normally get imports of the UK editions anyway, so it's never been a huge issue. We get the UK versions of Potter too, for example, and though we were talking "North American distributor" above, it's still not unreasonable to suggest Canadian stores may still end up with the BBC Books version of Shada in June. It's just sad that publishers have to be so insulting to their readership by thinking they need to bowdlerize something like Adams or Doctor Who because they assume readers in the US are too dumb to go onto Google if the term "jelly baby" needs translation!

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote