View Single Post
Old March 21 2012, 04:23 AM   #51
FatherRob
Rear Admiral

Location: Citizen of the Kingdom of God (Living in Bargersville, IN)
Re: TOS: That Which Divides by Dayton Ward Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Sho wrote: View Post
Anyway, I just found it interesting that TrekMovie's review was very positive (while they're generally not shy to dislike them, either), while I'd describe the reaction in this thread (even numbers aside) as relatively less enthusiastic so far than e.g. for The Rings of Time, to use another recent TOS stand-alone novel as an example. So perhaps someone who read the thread and decided not to buy because they got a similar impression would be swayed by this review if they get the feeling the reviewer has similar tastes/interests as them.
I think I see your point better now; though, to be clear, I enjoyed The Rings of Time, just felt it had serious issues with story elements that could have been better handled. On the flipside, That Which Divides smacked every core concern of mine out of the park, and did one heck of a job with Scotty as well...

Now, I won't go so far as to say it is as good as Diane Duane's Rihannsu series... that's Romulan/Federation goodness par excellance. But I could see myself re-reading That Which Divides far sooner than even thinking of rereading The Rings of Time.

However, as everyone from my editor right down to people here and in the TM comments have noted in the past, I have definate tastes. Heck, CLB's The Struggle Within (last years eBookcontribution to the Typhon Pact) was my favorite Star Trek story of 2011... and I know I got some odd 'looks' over that one!

Rob+