View Single Post
Old March 21 2012, 03:10 AM   #119
23skidoo
Admiral

Re: Holy ....! Doctor Who/Star Trek Crossover coming From IDW!

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Don't each of us have our own personal canon? If we hate a story, we ignore it. If we like it, we tend to fit it into our own personal view of the universe.
But that's unworkable, because then fans and writers lose frame of reference. For example, let's say (just for fun) that the new companion they introduce tomorrow ends up being the daughter of The Master. But uh oh - you hated the Master stories, from Terror of the Autons through to Last of the Time Lords. They didn't happen (which also means the Fourth and Tenth Doctors never regenerated, or at least not in the way depicted). So how can you reconcile the Master's daughter?

I've seen people try to pick and choose "personal canon" in Star Trek and it doesn't work. Lots of people selectively ignore Enterprise or Voyager or even DS9 and TNG, or the Abrams movie. Just as there are Who fans who refuse to consider the 1996 movie as canon or - worse - reject the entire 2005 revival because the 2001 webcast Death Comes to Time apparently killed off the Doctor in his Seventh incarnation. So therefore you have fans who have a schism between them because how can someone extoll the virtues of "Blink" or Amy Pond with someone who, thanks to their personal canon, feels the Doctor died way back when he was travelling with Ace?

You can choose to forget stories. Make "Fear Her" or "The Twin Dilemma" an unpleasant and fading memory. But they still need to have happened.

Dragging things back on point, it's easier to ignore something like the TNG crossover, because it's not televised. It's easy to ignore the existence of the Doctor's daughter Miranda from the Eighth Doctor novels, or the fact Romana II regenerated into a somewhat evil Romana III. Or the suggestion that Gallifreyans are born on looms and Susan was some princess or something and not the Doctor's granddaughter at all. Because none of this is on TV.

So I'm willing to give the crossover the benefit of the doubt until I see how they handle it and -primarily - if it's a good story. And if it isn't, then pfft! - I'll file it with those stories involving talking robot dinosaurs and shape-shifting penguins and move on.

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote