View Single Post
Old March 21 2012, 02:40 AM   #8
23skidoo
Admiral

Re: My copy of Shada arrived today

[QUOTE=Allyn Gibson;6035581]
Ace Books is part of Berkeley, which is part of Putnam.

Ah, fair enough. Having just spent part of a recent evening pricing some old Ace pulp SF paperbacks, I wonder if this is a continuation of that venerable company? I only recently found out Pan Books (best remembered for the James Bond novels) is still in operation...

What I can say with certainty is that the North American distributor for BBC Books' Doctor Who product cannot distribute the BBC Books edition of Shada.
Interesting. It will be interesting to see if that actually makes a positive impact. I was really expecting more of an interest over here in the Moorcock novel, but it was very much underpromoted and didn't exactly make the front-of-store New Releases racks, either. Maybe Ace/Berkeley might be able to make a bit more of a splash with this. Of course, this isn't written by Adams, per se. But then again when Eoin Coifer or whatever his name was did a new Hitchhiker's book the media was all over that.

I'm getting both editions, the UK and the US editions, because if the past is any guide where Douglas Adams books are concerned, they'll differ textually.
Let us now if you spot major differences. And this has happened before? I'd never heard of any changes in Adams' work. I have heard tell the North American version of Phil Pullman's His Dark Materials had some sensuality removed, so it's not unheard of. And when Pinnacle Books did some American editions of a dozen or so Target novelisations they Americanized some of the language. But I can't imagine today's readers standing for such a thing. Especially since it's so dead easy now to get the "unexpurgated version" via online order or e-books for that matter.

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Well, thaks for clarifying that one. Now the question is which site is right about the North American release date, Amazon (July 1) or Barnes & Noble (June 26).

I'm going to assume July 26, since that's a Tuesday and July 1 is a Sunday. I've noticed more books are released on Tuesday than Sunday. Of course if it is the 26th, that's going to be one expensive day. That's also when the next batch of Target re-prints are released plus there's a new Trek novel out on that day. It's also my mother's birthday. I'm sure I can get by without any money the rest of the week.
Yeah, the 26th is the only release date I've seen, personally. And you're right - books don't get published on Sunday.

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote