View Single Post
Old March 20 2012, 01:02 AM   #14
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Editions Announced

Josan wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I've always wanted to enjoy the Baldur's Gate series -- they seem almost perfect. Unfortunately the Infinity Engine just completely ruins the games for me. Is there something wrong with turn-based combat? Maybe I would have enjoyed the games more if I had played them when they first came out, but then again maybe not.

If these remakes overhaul the combat system I'll definitely check them out.

Yeah, the engine might have been good for what it was back then, but it feels terribly clunky now. When I tried playing it, I had a hard time getting the characters to do much, and I have to say, pathfinding has improved by loads since this was released, as it pretty much feels you have to babysit your characters. Ironically, my best time with the Infinity Engine was when I bought Arcanum on GOG years ago and patched it up with high-res graphics, a game that was considered to be so buggy that it was unplayable back when it was released, but all these years later it seems to be the one that has stood the test of time better, at least to me.
Arcanum didn't used the Infinity Engine.

Bioware developed the engine and only Bioware and Black Isle used it. Baldur's Gate, Planescape, Icewind Dale, BG2 and IDW2 were the only titles that used the engine.
Oh, I could have sworn it used it. It looked very similar in terms of engines. I thought I had heard they used a heavily modded version of it somewhere. Maybe I'm thinking of the engine used in Fallout 1 and 2. In the end, I guess it doesn't really matter.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote