1. For starters, get rid of the biofunction console, it's next to useless since crew doesn't do very much. Yes, that crew stat you see at the bottom of the hud is next to worthless.
Back when the game came out, there was a good reason for having it, since engineering team effectiveness was based on amount of crew. They got rid of this though. Passive healing in combat is nigh non existant and outside of it you'll be back to full health rather quickly no matter your crew.
Same goes for any other crew preserving console.
Really? I didn't know that! I did get rid of the biofunction console the other day, but I didn't know the whole crew thing was now worthless. They probably put it in a report I didn't read somewhere. There was a couple of months there last year where I was totally out of the game, and that would explain it.
2. Get a field generator Mk XI console, it'll boost your shield capacity by 35%. Doesn't stack though so only get one.
3. Drop the Borg shield, the thing has a really low capacity so doesn't deal well with high damage. Try to get a covariant shield (with a cap x 2) or better yet a MACO shield Mk XI.
I have a MK XII purple Covariant in my bank. I should probably use that one.
4. Best not to mix and match energy weapons. Instead focus on one particular type and get the consoles that just boost that type (since generic energy weapon consoles don't boost as much).
Yep. As much as I love my phaser/polaron combo, I'm going to try out just phasers and see how they perform. I have a phaser relay (Mk XI) in my bank, so I'll toss that in there.
5. If you decide to do PvP, I'd recommend taking off the torps and replacing them with energy weapons.
The reason for this is that it's very easy to shield tank and it just needs a slither of shield to nigh totally negate a hit from a torp. Meanwhile a cruiser with 8 beams can do constant sustained damage.
I've been asking myself whether that would work. I love the huge power a torpedo can cause, but half the time, they just bounce off shields. I'll give it a shot. Thanks Blamo
I tried to make a deal with the Devil, once. Turns out I didn't have anything he wanted.
You will never find a more welcome hive of love and humility.