View Single Post
Old March 12 2012, 10:43 PM   #151
23skidoo
Admiral

Re: Lucy Liu cast as Watson in CBS' Sherlock Holmes show

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I wonder if this might doom Elemetary, too? Quean was making efforts to change the location, race and gender of characters, and apparently that didn't keep the lawyers at bay:
Yeah, but Quean (which I'd never heard of till that report came out) isn't based on a widely known concept that many assume is in the public domain (as the makers of TNG found out was not the case). Elementary is a new version of an established story without changing names, etc. Same as if two competing Frankenstein or Dracula series were created. I can't see there being any legal recourse for the BBC, anymore than for the makers of the Downey movie.

It's not the same scenario than if, say, a US network commissioned a TV series about a British secret agent named James Gunn Agent 666 who has a license to kill and who travels the world womanizing and killing off supervillians. Eon Productions, owners of James Bond, would take umbrage. And the descriptions I've read about Quean offer the same kind of similarities with the Girl movies, so the legal whip cracking is not surprising. I was expecting to see the same thing happen with The Hunger Games, which is almost identical in concept to Battle Royale, but the powers that be have made it clear the similarities were coincidental, so last I heard the Japanese rights holders of Battle Royale haven't been making any noises. Yet. We'll wait and see if Hunger Games enters the $500 million club or not.

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote