View Single Post
Old March 10 2012, 10:14 PM   #104
23skidoo
Admiral

Re: Holy ....! Doctor Who/Star Trek Crossover coming From IDW!

StCoop wrote: View Post
CaptainMatt wrote: View Post
And yet there was a so-called 'canon-keeper' in the 1980s hired by John Nathan-Turner. He was called Ian Levine. How good he did his job, however, is another matter entirely...LOL
Thankfully we've all moved on from those days. Well, except for Ian. (Who I'm honoured to say once called me The Biggest Cunt In Doctor Who Fandom for daring to suggest that his plan to get fans to recolour Ambassadors Of Death and then sell it to the BBC wouldn't come to anything.*)
I get the feeling a lot of people hate Ian Levine. It's another one of those "I guess you have to be in the UK for you to care" things. As far as I'm concerned the guy is credited with stopping the BBC from destroying its copies of the first Daleks story and, indirectly, stopping the whole junking fiasco. He's got my respect for that alone. Couldn't care less if he calls people names.

As far as the "canon-keeper" business. It doesn't hurt to have someone keep tabs, but fortunately given the nature of Doctor Who and its tendency to create different timelines and even realities, frankly as long as the BBC doesn't pull a Roddenberry and issue an edict like Paramount did with Star Trek, then as far as I'm concerned everything is canon - from John & Gillian travelling with "Dr. Who" to Faction Paradox and that Miranda comic book they came out with (featuring the Doctor's adopted daughter). The nature of the beast makes everything fair game - even a crossover with TNG after the TV series acknowledged Star Trek as a fictional franchise. All it means is the IDW story might take place in a different reality, or maybe Big Bang II created a universe in which the Star Trek continuity now exists within the Doctor Who continuity. For all we know IDW could be planning a "knock on the head" storyline where Rory or Amy or even the Doctor get conked and hallucinate the whole thing.

Also, the ongoing Script & Screen competition has revived The Land of Fiction. This whole thing could end up being a sequel to The Mind Robber.

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote