3) Tree of Life (2011) - F
4) The Descendants (2011) - B
5) Drive (2011) - B
6) Hanna (2011) - C
7) Take Shelter (2011) - A-
8) 50/50 (2011) - B
9) Baby Mama (2008) - B-
10) United 93 (2006) - Inappropriate to Grade

United 93 was on HBO Signature tonight and while I didn't intend to watch a movie like this, I ended up watching it anyway. I'm not sure if the wounds of 9/11 will ever heal, and every year to honor the anniversary of it with tributes and memorials. This day was my generation's Pearl Harbor and I don't ever want to forget what happened that day.

Well, here was this movie that felt like a documentary tribute in every sense of the phrase. Actually It doesn't really feel like a movie because there is really no "story", no "Character development" and we're pretty much watching the emotions, the chaos and the inevitable that we hope won't happen but know it does.

That's how I felt watching this movie. Whether the movie got things right or not I'll leave the experts and the conspiracy theorists to decide. What I got watching this film was kind of the emotional transition from before 9/11 to our mentality today. There were scenes early in the film where I watch the people board the plane not really caring about the world around them, not listening to the pre-take off speech from the captain about emergency procedures, and just going about their day like nothing is going to happen. I think this is where Paul Greengrass get's high praise. We know what's going to happen, and all throughout the film it's that inevitable certainty that makes this one of the most haunting and unflinching films I've ever seen. Then you get to the ending and you're just rooting for the passengers to take over the plane and that certainty becomes ever so true. I don't call this a movie in the typical sense of the word. I call it a respectful tribute that if you ever forget the emotions that paralyzed us that tragic day, this film takes you back and punches you in the gut.

As for my "Inappropriate to Grade" comment, there are movies that affect you so much in a way where a grade just doesn't do it justice. This is one of those movies.

Theatre: 2
BluRay: 3
On Demand/TV: 1 (+1)
Itunes: 4