View Single Post
Old March 9 2012, 09:06 PM   #1478
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

intrinsical wrote: View Post
I don't care about PvP. So for me, its only P2W when Cryptic starts coming up with new STFs that require an Odyssey or Bortas to win.
It will start with PvP but it's only a matter of time before it spills over into PvE. And it won't be Cryptic driving it, per say, but players.

Eventually, it will get to the point where it will become a sort of unwritten rule for pugs and pre-made pugs. That will slowly snowball into a disaster.

But even that doesn't matter because people will inevitably fall in line. People may not call themselves, min/maxers, but anyone who has ever participated in endgame content in any MMO is to some degree.

Everybody has at some point browsed the interwebz for new build ideas to help them in whatever endgame they're trying to conquer. Those ideas always begin with min/maxers.

And there's also always a key, theme element to them. Yesterday, for example, it was an MVAM. Tomorrow it will be an Odyssey. The former was not nearly as ubiquitous because the advantage it gave over other ships was no where near as obvious. With the latter, however, it eventually going to get to the point EVERY endgame build is an Odyssey. And people will eventually fall in line to the point where at least four ships in any random pug are one.

But I think the more important issue is that this shows Cryptic isn't really satisfied with the pay = vanity model, and once they get a taste, they're going to go nuts. Book it.

I can almost guarantee that it won't belong before the next gear set comes out that will be significantly better than the MACO/OMEGA, and dilithium will be required to buy it.

It will be such an obscene amount of dilithium that 8k grind a day just isn't going to cut it. People will have all the tech they need in their banks, but not the dilithium, so they'll get out their credit cards.

It's a slippery slope that I've happened to see the worst of. Cryptic just grabbed the toboggan.

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Trek wrote: View Post
Personally I'd like to see the ship tiers revamped like this:

Proposal:
http://www.suricatafx.com/wp-content...er_Changes.jpg

Discussed here:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=257999

I think that would solve most (if not all) the problems you raised Timelord_Victorious.
Interesting concept.

I thought up another one, where BO layout is determined by swappable bridge modules that can go on any ship.
base stats like speed, hull and powerlevel by the ship itself and modifiers by skills and gear.
i don't have a fance HD spreadsheet, though.
It's an interesting idea, but I think even more complicated than it has to be.

Simply make it so that you ship stats are determined by captain class, ship class, and rank and then make all BO slots universal in the cmdr, ltc, lt, lt, ens layout.

They could even through in the XO mechanic they've been talking about forever to add a little variety. You'd then have four variables that determine ship's "stats" with a lot of different skins flying around.

I also think they should make the special consoles class specific, but whatever.