Re: Movies Seen in 2012

20. X-Men: First Class (A)
21. Do The Right Thing (N/A)
22. Martha Marcy May Marlene (B+)
23. The Artist (A-)
24. LA Confidential (A)
25. Young Adult (B+)
26. Children of Men (B+)

Alfonso Cuaron's followup to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and also his last film until this year's much-delayed Gravity. Bit of an absence for such a talented director. This was one a number of major works by Spanish-speaking directors in 2006 (and the only one entirely in English), and I'd set it in the middle between Pan's Labyrinth (which was my favourite film of that year) and Babel (which I thought was enormously overrated). This movie gets praised to the skys in SF/F circles, and while I liked it quite a lot, I don't think it quite lives up to that level of praise. Most of the most interesting parts occur after the baby is born (though, implausibly, the soldiers just let them wander off for the climax). I thought some of the political stuff was a bit on the heavy-handed side as well, though that's par for the course in dystopian fiction. The actress playing Kee was the best part of the movie; she doesn't appear to have done much since, which is too bad.

Cinema: 7
Home Video: 15 (+1)
Computer: 3

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote