View Single Post
Old March 8 2012, 10:32 PM   #15
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek and Homosexuality

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
... and lastly the Second/Tactical Officer is a Trill woman who is having a long-distance relationship with an Orion woman on another ship).
I have wondered if two isolated ships could through subspace communications tie in together, and allow two people to have a "rendez-vous" on the holodeck. Not a holo fantasy character, but a interactive encounter in real time with their actual lover.

teacake wrote: View Post
... swimming pool scenes that were filled with something prettier than money. .
I'm confused, what is prettier than money?

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Being gay isn't something you can see, which makes it a bit harder to telegraph one's orientation in a visual medium without screwing it up.
I disagree, Riker's heterosexuality was easy to pick-up on, he was overtly interested in females. He was constantly checking out females in general, and female crewmembers too, little sideways glances. He flirted, smiled, body language'd toward women in a way he never would towards a man.

Now just take that and have the exact some behavior between a male main character and other males on the show.

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
If they weren't visibly camp, how would you know?
Camp means "deliberate ridiculous," with respect I don't think you're using the term correctly here.

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
There could have been any number of crew seen in the shows that were gay - it's just that we didn't see their personal lives.
That doesn't really work. Star Trek is a show, if gays were referred to, but just not seen, you could then make the statement you just did. The fact of the matter is there are simply no gays on Star Trek, in any form.

Take the last movie as a micro-example, there were five relationships shown. Nero-wife, George-Winona, Sarek-Amanda, Spock-Uhura, and Kirk-Green Girl. All were heterosexual, while some were cross-species, none were gay.

The movie was released in 2009!

")

"Each of us, at some time in our life, turns to someone, a father, a brother, a God and asks why am I here?
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote