View Single Post
Old March 8 2012, 03:42 AM   #254
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Why was Kes written off the show?

You_Will_Fail wrote: View Post
So basically you're saying "If you can do any better, prove it?". Well that's not very constructive and kind of childish.
Again, no. I'm saying - if people think there are more stories that could have been told, they should tell them.

You're acting like we're being outrageous by daring to even question the story that "Kes was difficult to write for and wasn't working so we ditched her" since we weren't there in the writing room.
Well, you are. Again I will say it -and at the risk of sounding like a complete douche- unless you've worked in a writer's room, you don't have the whole picture in terms of all the things that are considered when writing these stories. Every decision is meticulously discussed, every plot point cleared by a dozen checkpoints throughout the production process... its not simply a matter of "Hey, this would be cool, let me sit down and write it!"

There's absolutely nothing wrong with questioning the choices of writers or producers of a TV show, they're not Gods after all and sometimes they do seem to make choices to make lives easier for themselves even if it means sacrificing quality.
Agreed. But there's a difference between the above statement and accusing writers of being liars, which is what I was responding to previously.

God knows they did that with Voyager and its magical healing abilities/reset button/unlimited supplies nonsense that causes this show to draw criticism from so many people.
Its not unreasonable for any of us to say that we don't buy the official line that she was such a difficult character. I agree with sfdebris who said that he didn't buy Kes being booted off because the writers didn't know what to do with her, because the writers didn't seem to know what to do with most of the characters, even the fraking captain.
I can't comment on any of this as I wasn't part of the writers room at the time, and while I agree sometimes it got to be patently ridiculous on Voyager, again, the writers were the ones in charge. Who am I to tell them they're doing their jobs wrong? Who am I to question the decisions they made when I have no insight in to their reasoning for how and why they made those decisions?