Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

20. X-Men: First Class (A)
21. Do The Right Thing (N/A)
22. Martha Marcy May Marlene (B+)
23. The Artist (A-)
24. LA Confidential (A)
25. Young Adult (B+)

Jason Reitman and Diablo Cody both really arrived with Juno back in 2007, but they had very different followup films: Reitman went on to further Oscar nominations and critical acclaim with Up in the Air, while Cody teamed with Karyn Kusama for Jennifer's Body, which was poorly received (I haven't seen it, incidentally). Now they reunite for a black comedy, which wasn't a big box office performer but attracted a dedicated critical following. I liked it quite a lot, though it never quite crosses the line into "great" territory. Cody's signature rat-a-tat dialogue is toned down a lot, but there's plenty of fun line. The film is an 87-minute build to a single punchline at the expense of traditional movie narratives, but it's an effective one.

Reitman and Cody are going their separate ways again next; in Cody's case, it's to make her directorial debut. I'll be interested to see if Jennifer's Body was just a hiccup, or if Reitman is really bringing more to the table in their collaborations.

Cinema: 7 (+1)
Home Video: 15
Computer: 3

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote