View Single Post
Old March 5 2012, 02:52 AM   #10
Kestra
Vice Admiral
 
Kestra's Avatar
 
Re: Child Swallows 37 Magnets

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Kestra wrote: View Post
They look like the small magnets so 37 isn't really that insane. It would be relatively easy to swallow them, I would think.

Also kids eat all sorts of crap when no one is looking. I chewed off part of a plastic cup and swallowed it. My sister swallowed a house key when my mom turned around for just a few seconds. She turned back around and the key was gone, but my sister had a smirk on her face. It's not necessarily negligence, but it does highlight the need for children to be supervised and be in a child-safe environment. Most parents do the best they can, I presume.

I dunno, 37 sounds like quite a lot to me, looking it up real quick I would guess the magnets were from a office toy like this:

LINK

Which, really, small stuff like that you should just know to keep out of the reach of small children and not take any chances, placing this one shelf-higher could have done a lot to prevent this girl's injury and possible death.
Yeah, those are the magnets. We have some, and I got some for my younger cousins (not that young!). Even then I lectured them about how strong the magnets are, what precautions to take, and I let their parents know what I had given them.

I agree that the parents shouldn't have had anything like this around their child. I'm not disputing that. I just think people are really quick to say "bad parent!" when it's a rough business. Taking care of a young child is exhausting and I'm fairly sure that many parents make mistakes here and there. Thankfully this one didn't turn out to be fatal.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote