View Single Post
Old March 4 2012, 11:39 AM   #139
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Lucy Liu cast as Watson in CBS' Sherlock Holmes show

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Aside from the issue of artistic integrity
We're talking CBS. They don't do art.
No network intentionally creates art-- it's always accidental. But I was talking about the topic of "re-imaginings" in general, not about CBS.

foxhot wrote: View Post
This just in: Jude Law, Robert Duvall and the portly sidekick from YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES have been cast as CHARLIE'S ANGELS. Bosley is now Octavia Spencer. Madonna is the voice of Charlie. Perhaps it ''looks like America'' when combined. That's such a slippery-slope concept anyhow.
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
"WTF? Have those hacks at Universal even read the novel? A hunchbacked assistant, an abnormal brain, villagers with torches, a burning windmill? Where did that come from? And how come the creature can't even talk--and has stupid-looking bolts in his neck? None of that was in the book. Hell, they didn't even get the main character's name right? "Henry Frankenstein?" Everyone knows it's supposed to be Victor.

"Where was the whole arctic finale? How come Elizabeth didn't die? Where was the whole subplot about Justine? And the murder of Victor's little brother? If they were going to make up a whole new plot, why even bother calling it Frankenstein? The whole movie is a slap in the face to Mary Shelley and everyone who has actually read the book.

"But obviously Universal doesn't care about that. They just wanted to churn out some gruesome piece of schlock to cash in on the success of their so-called Dracula with that weird Hungarian dude. Never mind that they're warping classic characters beyond recognition.

"Boycott!"
Nice. You make a good point, though. It hardly matters after 80 years and the movie version has become the more culturally iconic of the two versions, but I do agree that it would have been better to rename the characters and make the movie completely independent of the novel; or at least I would have at the time. You miss the mark at the end, though, because both Frankenstein and Dracula were great movies, so I wouldn't have leveled that criticism.