View Single Post
Old March 2 2012, 05:13 PM   #313
Agent Richard07
Retired

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

44. Breach (✩✩✩) - On Demand - The true story of a young FBI agent who is hired to bring down a fellow agent who's been spying for the Soviet Union for two decades. This one stars Ryan Phillipe and Chris Cooper, and I figured out early on that it was shot in Toronto. It's a serviceable thriller. The movie also has Caroline Dhavernas, who I don't see enough of..

45. Broken Flowers: (✩✩✩✩) - DVD - Bill Murray stars as Don Johnston, an aging womanizer who gets a letter from an unidentified ex-lover stating that he has an 18 year old son who's looking for him. Not knowing who the letter is from, he sets off on a road trip to visit a number of exes in an attempt to find out who sent it. This is a well made independednt film with an all-star cast that includes Sharon Stone and Jessica Lange. It's quiet and serious, but Bill Murray still brings with him a bit of his usual dry humor. One of the themes includes the usual stuff about how empty life can be without family, but the movie doesn't moralize and it's not over done. This is one of the best films I've seen this year.

46. Bronson: (✩✩✩✩) - DVD - In anticipation of The Dark Knight Rises, I wanted to see Tom Hardy in a Bane-like role and Bronson fit the bill. The movie is based on the life of Michael Peterson, a fighter who spent most of his life in prison. Peterson took the name "Charles Bronson", hence the title. Tom Hardy turns in an absolutely excellent performance and the movie itself is pretty oddball, but as a lover of weirdness, I gave it 4 stars. I would have graded it higher, but it started to drag in the last half-hour.

Here's the trailer...

And here are pictures of Tom Hardy...

47. Edge of Darkness: (✩✩✩) - TV - Mel Gibson stars as a Boston cop who's 24 year old daughter comes home for a visit, but gets shot and killed at the fron door just before she says she has to tell him something. What ensues is one man's search into what happened and why. Good thriller with a nice ending scene.

48. In & Out: (✩✩✩) - TV - Kevin Kline stars as a small town teacher named Howard Brackett who's about to get married and who is mysteriously "outed" when one of his former students thanks his gay teacher Mr. Brackett in his Academy Awards acceptance speech. Hilarity ensues. Good little comedy that's formulaic but has some interesting twists.

49. Secrets of Eden: (✩✩) - TV - John Stamos stars in this TV movie about a minister who is suspected of killing the husband of a woman he was having an affair with. I couldn't totally buy Stamos as a minister. He's not the type.

50. Shooter: (✩✩✩) - TV - Mark Wahlberg stars as a gun expert who's brought in to give his advice on how a suspected assassination attempt on the President might go down, but nothing is what it appears to be. Pretty good action thriller, but it gets bogged down with a convoluted plot.

51. Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing: (✩✩✩) - TV - This is a 1955 movie about a eurasian doctor in Hong Kong who falls for a married journalist. The issue of cultural differences and racial identity are explored here. It's a good little love piece and Jennifer Jones is a stunning woman with class.

Theatre: 1
DVD/Blu-Ray: 17
TV: 29
On Demand: 3
Internet: 1

Last edited by Agent Richard07; March 2 2012 at 05:41 PM.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote