View Single Post
Old March 1 2012, 06:56 PM   #1094
Paper Moon
Commander

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Wasn't the taboo against reassociation enough of a punishment? Wouldn't the episode have been a more appropriate allegory about homosexuality without the exile thing? Your average, everyday homophobe doesn't want to exile or execute homosexuals (at least not in western societies), they just want them to stop doing homosexual acts. And that taboo, that expectation of heterosexuality by friends and family, is bad enough that some homosexuals try to hide their true nature. And that's real tragedy right there.
I'm not sure I agree with your point about everyday homophobes in the West not wanting to execute or exile gay people. While of course most don't want execution, and not really exile per se, I think most homophobes in America want gay people to go away/disappear from their (the homophobes') world. Which is kinda exile, when you think about it. And I think while some would find the cessation of gay sex sufficient, I think many homophobes want gay people to stop being gay, in the way that being gay is more than just your sexual activity.
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote