View Single Post
Old March 1 2012, 03:48 AM   #30
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Re: STAR TREK: PHASE II "Kitumba" Sneak Peek

I'm going to chime in here and say that while I understand the idea of the Night Shift, even if I don't happen to agree with it applied inside a critical control room, the issue of too little light is one I've had with most fan films. The Kitumba sample scene put out suffers from the same problem. Spock and Uhura are underlit throughout the episodes when at their stations.

As a filmmaker myself, I understand well the issues with apparent darkness of different displays . Most HD TVs display more brightly than most computer monitors, but that's why you output different files for different displays (one setting for DVD/TV, another for viewing online) and why you test the output on different monitors before you release it. (I was once horrified that the soft edges mattes I'd used on cyc background, which never show up on computer monitors, popped out as soft pinkish glows when said video was displayed from a DVD on a LCD TV).

That said, since in the same shot some characters read pretty well and others are much darker, it's fair to say it's partly the fault of the lighting and not the display technology.
óGlen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote