View Single Post
Old February 29 2012, 09:08 PM   #89
Christopher
Writer

Re: Lucy Liu cast as Watson in CBS' Sherlock Holmes show

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Every channel has its own audience and things it must do to please that audience. I suspect the overlap between CBS viewers and TrekBBS habitues is close to zero. So the fact that people are bitching about it, is really missing the point. They aren't making this show for us.
Not quite zero. I watch a number of shows on CBS.

However, Christopher is being extremely naive in assuming that CBS is making these changes in the interest of creating something with artistic validity.
I have never claimed to make any such assumption about this specific project. I'm just saying it's narrow-minded and ignorant of the creative process to claim as an absolute rule that it's somehow wrong to change a story when you adapt it. I freely admit that CBS's pilot might be creatively bankrupt and mercenary and awful -- lots of pilots are -- but if that's the case, it won't be a failure simply because Watson has breasts and epicanthic folds.

And even if the creative decisions behind a show are made for reasons of mercenary calculation and demographic pandering, that doesn't preclude the possibility that the network could hire writing staffers who are genuinely talented and care about the material. It doesn't guarantee they will, but we don't know they won't. After all, every show's commissioning has some level of that kind of calculation behind it, but the people doing that calculation are generally not the ones actually writing and producing the show. I'm sure that the WB executives who decided to buy Buffy the Vampire Slayer as a series were thinking of the sex appeal and the high school melodrama and the action and all that superficial stuff that went into a lot of the shows they bought, but that didn't preclude Whedon from being a creative genius.

Now, I don't look at the name "Robert J. Doherty" and expect genius, but maybe he's improved considerably since Voyager. He did some good work on Tru Calling, certainly. So I'm willing to give him a chance. I'm not going to assume his work will stink before I've seen what he actually does. Because I always keep in mind Sherlock Holmes's own words:

"It is a capital mistake to theorise in advance of the facts."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote