View Single Post
Old February 28 2012, 09:03 PM   #484
Christopher
Writer

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
But trends in the entertainment industry still seem to be becoming more and more homogenized. American Sherlock? Multiple Beauty and the Beast shows? Fairytale shows, robot shows, vampire shows.

Back when Armageddon and Deep Impact came out in the same year it was looked at a bit skeptically. Now we have multiple projects every year coming out with the same elements.
I don't agree that there's anything new about multiple films/shows on similar topics coming out at the same time. Every time one thing hits big, there are countless imitators. For instance, when Hercules and Xena became hits, there was a slew of lowbrow, low-budget fantasy-action shows swamping syndication and cable before long -- Sinbad, Robin Hood, Tarzan: The Epic Adventures (which actually wasn't bad), and probably one or two others all airing at the same time.

Also, keep in mind that we're only talking about pilots at this stage. Only a limited percentage of them will actually become series, so we may not actually end up with, say, two Beauty and the Beast shows airing at the same time.

That said, it does strike me as unusual that we've suddenly got something like four versions of Snow White coming to TV and theaters within a year or so of each other. A spate of fantasy shows/films in the wake of Harry Potter and Twilight is understandable, but why so much attention on that specific fairy tale?