View Single Post
Old February 28 2012, 12:21 AM   #516
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: DTI: Watching The Clock Review Thread

JD wrote: View Post
I've actually been pretty impressed with how well Christopher is able to keep the science detailed and believable, but not let it interfere with the character stories.
I agree 100%. And not just with DTI:WTC, but with all of his Trek Lit that I've read. He balances it very well, better I would say than a lot of mainstream Hard SF writers out there.

In many ways his style reminds me of A.C. Clarke, Stephen Baxter and Jules Verne, all of whom, in their best work, include a lot of scientific detail, but balance it well with the story and characters. Nobody is perfect, of course, and even Verne had a tendency to go off on scientific digressions now and then (Clarke does this too occasionally as well), but--like Christopher, the majority of the time there is a good balance.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote