View Single Post
Old February 27 2012, 08:38 PM   #35
Vice Admiral
Re: What franchise has had the closest cultural impact since Star Wars

Sorry-my answer is NOTHING. Star Wars pasted itself right across American society in a way HP/LOTR/Avatar can never do. The products are watered down with competition-NOTHING can hold so much of the public's eye nowadays the way SW did/does. Its copied/parodied/cited endlessly, as often out of context as in. My 5 year old has a bday coming. I asked him what he wanted and he answered, "A puppy. And a light saber." Think about it-anyone born the day SW first released is 35 years old. A whole generation grew up under its influence. Only ST and Bond hold similar positions in our Western society. Can I quote from HP? Nope. Avatar? Nope. But I can easily quote from Bond: "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!" and I've never even seen the movie Goldfinger. SW/ST quotes abound, of course, as well. Point is, those 3 franchises have wormed their way in to our society on every level. I don't think any more modern product has or can do the same. Not saying they aren't popular-but they are too diffused to end up with similar results.
...sf fandom is only a personality disorder if you do it right.-Klaus - archive stories! for honest gaming

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote