Old February 27 2012, 05:28 PM   #18
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: TOS On MeTV?

WisTrekFan wrote: View Post
cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
jayrath wrote: View Post
Watched with my girlfriend last night, and again I had to explain all the cuts to her. We had just the barest glimpse of Kirk looking at a single medal in his quarters, and she didn't understand at all why he then got so angry in the transporter room, immediately afterward.
Syndication and commercial edits suck. They always have. Always will. The lust for more commercial revenue is going to eventually reduce a one-hour television program to barely thirty minutes of actual content. Just because I understand the networks' and local stations' logic in making trims doesn't mean I agree with it.

I'm just glad I have DVDs and Netflix. TOS is always better uncut.

The alternative to editing a syndicated show for more commercials is to stretch a one hour episode to two hours like WGN does with some shows. I'm not sure which method is better.
When the Sci-Fi Channel aired TOS uncut and digitally restored in 1998 and 1999 it ran them in 90-minute time slots to allow for the entire original episode, commentary by Shatner and Nimoy and commercials. It's the only time in my life that a channel whether broadcast or cable has aired uncut TOS in a 90-minute slot. Every other version shown on American television has been a syndicated edit of 43.5 to 46 minutes.

Unless the G4 network's airings of the show were uncut. I don't get G4 as part of my cable package so I don't know if the network aired uncut TOS or not.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote