View Single Post
Old February 25 2012, 11:43 PM   #57
the G-man
Rear Admiral

Re: Best and Worst Villains in a Comic Book Movie?

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
Ian Keldon wrote: View Post

Greg, the rule of LA superhero films is "pull it back, make it 'more real' ". Classic Doom straight out of the comic would go over like a lead balloon...
Really?

Two words: Darth.Vader.
Is not a supervillain in a comic-book based movie.
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ I'm fairly sure that The G-Man knew that; I suspect that he was trying to point out that audiences were willing to accept a villain with that sort of look.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Exactly.
Precisely. Presactly, even.

And, for the record, when SW first came out, a lot was made of it being a homage to Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers and other comic strip sci-fi heroes.

But I suppose Ian will now explain to us how comic strips and comic books are nothing, nothing, alike and that "L[ive] A[ction]" audiences won't tolerate in a comic book movie what they'd tolerate in a comic strip one.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Movie audiences don't always insist that science fiction and superheroes be "more real." That's just one approach. Heck, nobody seemed to mind that the climax of THOR featured a thunder god flying up to a rainbow bridge--or that the villains were a sorcerous Norse god and a bunch of Frost Giants.

If Loki (and the Red Skull) worked, why not the real Dr. Doom?
I guess Norse Gods of Evil and disfigured Nazi super-scientists with cosmic cubes are just "low key," dammit.

More importantly, I'm not sure why superhero films should be subject to different rules than any other sf/fantasy blockbuster. I mean, Harry Potter is still about magical kids attending a school for wizards, complete with elves, gryffins, and all manner of fantastic creatures, and nobody complains that they need to be "more real."

Why should people expect superhero movies (of all things!) to be more "realistic" than Star Wars or Transformers? Because comic books are known for their gritty contemporary realism?
I don't want to put words in Ian's mouth here but I suspect he's one of "those fans," who thinks that--just because Chris Nolan's gritty take works on a down to earth character on Batman--audiences want all their superhero movies to be "realistic."
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote