View Single Post
Old February 22 2012, 06:32 PM   #482
Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: DTI: Watching The Clock Review Thread

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Indeed. Also I would understand the criticism if DTI: Watching the Clock were written in a dry type of way, but Christopher's style of writing is hardly anything like that. Granted, some of the techno talk can be a bit confusing, but I've never had any problem following what Christopher describes in any of his novel. I don't consider myself a huge tech guy either. Christopher has a very fluid style that is mostly easy to follow and the books of his that I've read are pretty well paced IMO.
I agree 100%. One of the common faults I find in "Hard SF" authors is that their writing style--especially when describing tech/science concepts--is dry and boring, like a bad text book (And this is coming from someone who likes to read text books). Christopher's Trek Lit is as close to Hard SF as Trek can get, IMO, but is never dry or boring.

And I think, though I have made the mistake myself, it is insulting to call what Christopher does "techno-babble." Techno-Babble is meaningless verbiage that has a technical sound to it. By and large Christopher's technical-talk has a firm basis in real science & is one of the few author's I've seen that excel at taking techno-babble and making rational sense out of it.

I loved DTI:WTC and cannot wait for the next DTI installment!
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote