View Single Post
Old February 20 2012, 05:39 AM   #107
Zombie Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Zombie Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: What SF/F Book Are you Reading? .. Redux

Finished Ender's Game, in Card's "Author's Definitive Edition" from 1991.... well I can see why it's so popular, it was quite the interesting read. A fascinating take on the problem of making someone into an ultimate soldier and whether its possible to retain one's humanity in the process. In the end, I think I liked the last chapter even more than the rest, when he finally got to understand the enemy. I'm not going to read any of the sequels at the moment, but I've been told to be careful of some of them lol.

Sidenote: one of my jobs is a retail one, and I've never gotten such a reaction to having a book visible next to my register as this one. It's a college town, and I got several people every day remarking that it was one of their favorite books. One volunteered that he'd only read half of it, as that was what it had taken to get him laid. [That would have been the Darkover books in my undergrad days. ]

Back to the past again for my next one -- on to John Brunner's The Whole Man from 1964, a story of telepaths.
Zombie Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote