View Single Post
Old February 19 2012, 08:15 PM   #90
23skidoo
Admiral

Re: Holy ....! Doctor Who/Star Trek Crossover coming From IDW!

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Except that it didn't. Infestation wasn't really a crossover in the sense that Star Trek/Legion of Super-Heroes was a crossover. The Transformers didn't meet the Turtles, the Enterprise crew didn't have to battle Storm Shadow. It was more of a "Hey, let's have four series battle zombies!"
True, but they're still connected by the basic story premise, and every place I see calls it a crossover even if you didn't see Donatello on the Bridge with Captain Kirk and Snake-Eyes.

Since it's dealing with Lovecraftian horrors, I would have loved to see a Doctor Who element to Infestation 2.
Except for as noted above. But I'd totally be for a standalone Lovecraftian storyline (even an adaptation of one of his stories) in Doctor Who.

23skidoo wrote: View Post
The jury is still out with me on the current DW team. I like the premise of As Time Goes By but I really can't see past the artwork.
I really like Matthew Dow Smith's work on Doctor Who. *shrug*
I'm simply not a fan of over stylized art, especially in comics based upon licensed properties. I want my characters to look like they do on TV. And just so it doesn't look like I'm picking on one artist, I'm not a fan of that Salmon fellow who occasionally does art for DWM and Big Finish covers either. My disappointment in the art for Ongoing right now is magnified by the fact I was really really really looking forward to the As Time Goes By storyline, being a huge Casablanca fan. Compare the art in IDW's current run with the art by Martin Geraghty in the recent DWM comic strips and there's no comparison, in my opinion. IDW's run afoul with me before - I picked up issue 1 of their Star Trek The Wrath of Khan adaptation and fortunately flipped through it in the checkout line. I couldn't stand the art so I never bought it again.

Issue #16, by the way, is the final issue of this run of Doctor Who. I'm not sure when IDW is relaunching the series. I suspect that the TNG crossover is simply replacing it on the schedule for its duration.
I'd tend to agree. There's been no announcement of the title being cancelled (we knew six months in advance that Tony Lee was leaving, so you'd think we'd know if IDW was closing up shop). IDW does finite-numbered series rather than continuous releases: technically we should be up to something close to issue #50, but because they keep restarting the numbering it's just a "meh" when they say issue #X is going to be the last. Wait a few months and they'll launch a new Ongoing with #1 again.

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote