View Single Post
Old February 18 2012, 10:57 AM   #447
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I find it hard to believe that after umpteen thousand years of storytelling, short stories will suddenly become extinct.
No format is going to become totally extinct, but they ebb and flow in how common they are.
Exactly. Fashion is different now than it was 40 years ago, and will be different again 40 years from now.

Envision a world in which all "TV" shows are streamed from sites like Netflix or Hulu. Why should an episode be an hour long? Why not ten minutes long or ten hours long? Why should there be one episode per week? And the degree to which one episode connects to another could vary just as radically - why not have no connection (the return of the virtually extinct anthology format)?
That's a good vision. The arts should be driven more by creativity than the demands of advertisers.

JD wrote: View Post
As for the whole serialized vs. episodic debate, I really have no preference, and honestly don't give a crap what a shows format is. All I want is a good story, and TBH I've never really seen where one format is better at giving us good stories than the other. It all depends on the stories and characters for me.
Yeah, that's exactly how I feel.