View Single Post
Old February 18 2012, 01:11 AM   #482
JD
Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

After three tries, and at least 3 or 4 months reading it I finally finished A Game of Thrones last night, and boy am I glad I stuck with it, the books is amazing. Now, I'll be honest and admit that until recently I didn't really read stuff with this much graphic sex and violence (well, graphic for me at least), so a few scenes were rather for me, but other than that I loved it. The book really does have some great characters, with my favorites being, in no particular order, Ned, Tyrion, Jon, Arya, and Dany. And I thought the world building elements of the book were also outstanding, Martin has created a fascinating world that is realistic, but still has enough fantastic elements to make it interesting as an alternate reality. Has it been established by Martin what exactly Westeros/Essos's relationship to modern day Earth is? I also really enjoyed Martin's prose, it flows really well, and made it very easy for me to sit and read for an hour or two straight, which isn't something I do very often. I can't wait until I get a chance to read A Clash of Kings, but since I probably have close to two dozen books I own, but haven't read yet, it might take a while. My rating: 9.75/10