View Single Post
Old February 17 2012, 08:37 PM   #4
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: Separate Crews for DS9 & The Defiant

Indeed, Kira on the Defiant at all was often rather difficult to swallow, given that her position in the hierarchy of DS9 shouldn't extend to the ship, unless I'm missing something. DS9 is a Bajoran station, jointly administered by Starfleet, but Defiant is Starfleet property. If Bajor wanted to boot the Federation off DS9, they could, but they'd have zero claim to the Defiant. So surely if Kira's aboard it would be entirely in her role as Bajoran liaison, not as part of its command structure? Having her as a crewman seems degrading and having her in the centre seat feels like it should be causing intense legal headaches. She should be there to observe if she's there at all. I know no-one in the audience wants to leave such a good character behind when they go off on their missions, but it was confusing sometimes. Particularly when at other times the Defiant command structure seemed to be a more plausible Sisko-Worf-Dax...

And we didn't see other Bajoran Militia personnel aboard, unless I'm mistaken.

I know Worf was on several Klingon ships, but given his membership in the House of Martok, I assume he had legal basis to be on a ship under Martok's ultimate command. From the Klingon viewpoint, he was one of them, I guess?