View Single Post
Old February 15 2012, 06:17 PM   #33
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

Re: A (hopefully) interesting fanfic discussion topic!

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
In late 2259, deep within unclaimed and uncharted space four small, tightly grouped together planetary systems were discovered by long-range probes. Known as the Draconii Cluster (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta), scans have shown that each one has at least on asteroid belt that registers higher than normal levels of minerals, ores and metals—but huddled so closely together, they are a veritable untapped goldmine. Though the Federation wanted to keep the Cluster quiet, until after they could conduct a full survey and then lay claim to the resources, but that wasn’t to be so. Word of the Cluster leaked out and dozens of species, mining corporations and individual hopefuls now has their eyes set on it—a few looking to expand their sphere of influence, others to increase their profits, and some hoping for a new life.
I'll admit that I find it difficult to find fault with any of that, and I'm a man who can usually find fault with most things.

I'm not fond of the name but as a summing up of the whole concept that is difficult to beat.

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
In the Cluster, as the separate groups begin to stake their claims, small outposts and colonies begin to spring up on many of the asteroids, whilst some of the larger groups opt for small stations for trading or processing the materials. Though many groups work in friendly competition with each other, there are a few are only interested in their own goals and will stop at nothing to achieve them. Matters are compounded when the Insédi, a newly warp capable species from a system near the Cluster, begin hit-and-run attacks, seeing the region as their territory.
Again I don't like the name of the aliens, but again this would appear to sum up the situation perfectly.

If we're going to get this thing off the ground (basically starting with creating the sandbox where everyone can come and play without stepping on each others' toes too much) then Bry's 'pitch' would seem like the place to start.
Sandoval is offline   Reply With Quote