View Single Post
Old February 15 2012, 04:30 AM   #407
JD
Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Shows like Warehouse 13, Eureka, Sanctuary et cetera are not light and fluffy-- they're just not dark and gritty. They are all very solid, well-written, well-produced and well-cast shows that seldom fail to entertain. They're certainly a far cry better than the "rated M for Mature" stuff that is currently considered "edgy."
This pretty much sums up my feelings as well.
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
It's not the fluffiness, it's the formulaic nature of those shows I dislike. It's possible for a show to be both dark/grim and formulaic, and that's no better.

Two examples: Alcatraz and Grimm. I'm running out of patience for both. Is it too much to ask for a show not to cling to the tired mission-of-the-week format? (Ironically, Grimm has a fair amount of humor and charm, which will probably keep me watching after I've bailed on Alcatraz).
Ok, I do agree with you on Alcatraz, I gave up after the first pair of episodes. It was too much of just a generic cop show for me, and the mythology wasn't interesting enough to keep me interested during the cop show stories. Grimm on the other hand, I love. Sure it's basically just a cop show, but I find the cases, mythology aspects, and the characters interesting enough that I still really enjoy the episodes. I don't mind so much if it's formulaic if the writing, stories, and universe are interesting to me.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote