View Single Post
Old February 15 2012, 12:19 AM   #456
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Saito S
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

Anwar wrote: View Post
Go read any "VOY should've been like NuBSG!" topics out there.

Let me put it another way. You have claimed, repeatedly, that people actually wanted the ship to be in "Year of Hell" shape, all the time, and that the majority of the cast should be cold-blooded killers, and or post-breakdown, PTSD-suffering messes, and that Janeway should have been going around demanding supplies from alien races and blowing up their planets if refused. You claimed that VOY detractors actually wanted those specific things on multiple occasions.

Direct enough for you?

(My prediction: No.)
It does, not on these forums (anymore) but it does.
It doesn't. Never did.
That's still nowhere near as big the difference as the Tactical Cube/Assimilation Cube gulf (with the TC being like 1/4 or so the size of the AC if not smaller).
There's no definitive proof of that, sorry.
Typically, something meant for long-term usage/large scope is going to be more powerful/important than something for shorter-scope/short term usage.
That doesn't make any sense. We are talking about ships. There's no such thing as a "strategic ship." That difference between strategy and tactics that you are referring to has more to do with doctrine and methodology than it does the actual firepower present in a given combat vehicle.

Trek uses "tactical", as applied to ships and people, to mean "focused on combat." It may not sync up perfectly with how the term is used in real life, but that's still how Trek does use it.
More for short-term battles meant for softening them up for full-on Assimilation (which requires more effort than just blowing up ships), like the first wave/opening salvo of an invasion.

All of which would require a lot more power, strength and durability/endurance than a vessel meant solely for fighting starships (and more likely to be destroyed).

So the ships that move in after the fighting is over, tasked with assimilating lots of helpless civilians and dismantling/transporting machines and structures, need more strength and durability than the ships that move in initially, fighting enemy starships, breaking down their defenses, and taking the brunt of whatever resistance the species might offer.

In other news, the sky is purple and up is down!
not "It's the most powerful Cube ever!"
Never claimed it was "the most powerful cube ever!". All I've been trying to do is point out the lack of logic implicit in claiming that it must be weaker than a "standard" (or "assimilation") cube. Which I have more than adequately done, and this particular topic has run its course.

As to the rest: you responded to my assertion that it was all hogwash by yammering about the Borg one-shot killing this ship or that. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but my statement about hogwash stands.
Sandoval wrote: View Post
This is a fascinating contest over who can make the most unnecessarily long post with the most quotations in it.
What do I get if I win?!
Because whoever makes the longest post is the true winner of the argument.
Aww, this post is substantially shorter than the previous ones, so I guess I lose.
Saito S is offline   Reply With Quote