View Single Post
Old February 14 2012, 06:09 AM   #446
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

Saito S wrote: View Post
It's a never ending battle alright. Especially when it comes down to one guy repeatedly yelling about a Hatedome that doesn't exist,
Even GodBen said he was a VOY Hater when he and I first entered into our own "I Hate Voy/I Love VOY" debates.

counter-attacking against outrageous claims that were never actually made,
VOY wrecked the Borg was never said by anyone?

Way to miss the point.
I'm trying to explain how it's not an emasculation of the Borg that VOY wasn't instantly destroyed by the Tactical Cube.

So you're saying that you don't see the problem with:
-declaring that the BoBW cube is called an "Assimilation Cube"... even though it's not
-then declaring that it's substantially different than the "Tactical Cube" encountered by Voyager and described by Seven... even though there is no proof that it IS all that different
-then "extrapolating" that it's not only substantially different, but weaker than the other cube, despite the fact that the tactical cube is the only Borg ship in the history of Trek to be referred to as "heavily armed"
-and the basis for this is that the crew didn't explicitly say that it WASN'T weaker.
I gave it the name it was given by the video games, since the show just has it as generic "Cube". It's not a made-up name.

It is different, even sites that try to give us facts on ship sizes and charts done by said fans say that the Assimilation Cube was much bigger than the Tactical Cube.

http://www.sideshowsito.com/wp-conte...ship_chart.gif

For example.

It's smaller, the name suggests it's for smaller-scale battles (Tactical, not Strategic), we don't see it at any major planetary assimilations (like in "Dark Frontier"), and saying it's "Heavily Armed" without any further comparison doesn't mean much. Heavily Armed compared to what, the Probe ship?

I'm not going to waste time writing huge paragraphs of text debunking this - again - so I will just say: no, the response wouldn't have been that. That's nonsense.
The audience didn't like how being caught in a collapsing wormhole/conduit destroyed a Borg ship in "Dark Frontier", why would they be any more forgiving of a Star?

Yeah, cause only the Borg have green energy weapons.
They're the only ones who use that specific type of grey hull coloring, the only ones that give off green energy, and that TYPE of green energy weapons (compared to the Romulans, for example), yeah.

Let's also ignore the fact that it uses a method or propulsion that the Borg are NEVER seen using, and that if it were a "proper" Borg ship, it would be the only one that is asymmetrical and blocky and lumpy and... looks nothing at all like a Borg ship, basically.
The Borg Probe wasn't a perfect sphere, no one complained. And they DID use a Borg method: Transwarp Conduits.

Seriously? So some random Youtube guy thinks Voyager shouldn't be able to take on a probe, and that proves your point?
That said people exist? Yes.

Ah yes, back to the extremes. You do realize the only one on this board who has ever brought up this "ALWAYS DOOMED ALL THE TIME" scenario is you?
No, in the current VOY viewing thread "Does it get any better?" AdmiralScreed says that none of the VOY Borg stories were good because there was no sense of unbeatable doom. Especially Scorpion.

Not really, no.
The Borg aren't Galactic Enemy No.1, there are aliens out there as powerful as them if not stronger, assimilation is reversible, Borg ships can be destroyed with weaponry. All these things are true, yet the fandom act like they're not.

Even if the above were true, it would mean that you were admitting to taking arguments that someone somewhere made once, years ago, and then throwing those arguments in the faces of other people - people who never made them - and accusing them of... well, of making them.
The principles behind the hatred of VOY haven't changed, why should the arguments?

You are yet again treating those who criticize VOY as one giant monolithic entity. We are not responsible for what some irrational haters might have said eight years ago, or whatever.
It's following a legacy, just one that's lost momentum.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote