View Single Post
Old February 13 2012, 09:59 PM   #448
The Transformed Man
Commander

View The Transformed Man's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

ModusOperandi wrote: View Post
The Transformed Man wrote: View Post
Sins and Inner Light would both display more film grain for two reasons.

A lot of Sins of the Father was shot in low light conditions so the production would have used a faster film stock because it's more light sensitive. These film stocks tend to have a much more dense grain structure.

Inner Light would display more grain simply because of the way the episode was lit. Very high contrasts tend to show off the grain structure of film (though it should be less noticeable than Sins of the Father).
Interesting, makes sense. Now that I think of it, the bridge scenes in both episodes didn't have nearly as bad grain. So we can look forward to a variety of film grains throughout the series, reflecting how each scene was shot. I.e. it's not a bug, it's a feature.
Well that's the nature of film, things from lighting conditions, to what film speed you use, to what film stock you use will all determine the grain or lack of grain in an episode.

Episodes which feature lots of daytime outdoors scenes will probably show little grain at all. So planet-side scenes on the L.A. Fitness planet in "Justice" will show very little evidence of film grain as will the opening scenes of "Who Watches the Watchers." Most of the Klingon episodes will look fairly grainy.

Yancy