View Single Post
Old February 13 2012, 12:52 AM   #66
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Re: The highlights of Nemesis

CaptainMatt wrote: View Post
If I had to pick one good thing about the film, it would be the space battle. The space battle was cool. Characterisation aside, the film's action was spot on, and I enjoyed seeing it.
I know I'm going to sound like I'm just deliberately trying to dislike things about Nemesis, but I'm really not. In fact, I desperately try to find things to like about any Trek production.

However, I never cared for the space battle in that film. Yeah, the special effects were good. But it felt completely "off" to me, in that it didn't seem like a Trek battle. Something doesn't feel right.

I think it may be the sound effects more than anything else that pull me out of it. Nothing sounds the way it has been established to sound. We'd seen the Enterprise-E engaged in battle multiple times by that point, and we'd seen huge fleet battles in DS9 with all sorts of classes of ships involved. Starfleet weapons look a certain way, act a certain way, and sound a certain way.

It would be as if Lucas released a new Star Wars film and suddenly the blasters had the Trek phaser sound effects.

Just really didn't feel right to me.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote